JAH wish to keep their readers abreast with the following jurisdictional updates in countries under our purview:
The Trademark Office in Iraq has revised formalities for trademark registrations in class 5(A) in which they now require only a soft copy of the home registration certificate to be submitted in support of trademark applications at the time of filing whereas the original copy legalized up to the Iraqi Consulate can be submitted within six month-time from the date of filing with no extra fees.
It should be noted that under the previous requirements, applicants were required to provide the following information when filing a trademark application in class 5:
- Scientific name of the product;
- Trade name of the producer;
- Pharmaceutical formula of the product;
- Name of manufacturing company if not the applicant, and
- Name of local distributor, if any.
Now all of these previous requirements for filing a trademark application in class 5 have been dropped and it is now substituted by way of submitting a copy home registration certificate legalized up to the Iraqi Consulate. For the ease of you reference please find hereunder the filing requirement for a trademark registration in Iraq:
- A power of attorney duly legalized up to the Consulate of Iraq. If no Iraqi consulate is available in the home country of applicant or the applicant cannot legalize it up to the Iraqi Consulate, legalization can be made by the Qatari Consulate and we shall complete the legalization in Qatar at the cost of USD 315. The legalized Power of Attorney MUST be also legalized in Iraq from (the Central Bank, General Tax Commission and the Ministry of External Affairs) to be acceptable by the Iraqi Trademarks Office.
- A certificate of home registration legalised up to the legalized to Iraqi Consulate for class 5 only.
- The classes and subclasses of the goods to be covered by the application. The wording of the list of goods/services to be protected should conform to the local classification, which is similar to the International Classification. Iraq currently follows the 7th edition of the Nice Classification with a local sub-classification system, and a single class may include several sub classes.
- A certified copy of the priority document (home or foreign application/registration) duly legalized up to the Iraqi Consulate which needs to be locally attested in Iraq.
- Obligatory search before trademark registration has now been adopted with each class of goods or services to be searched separately with official request. The Official Search Fees for each class of goods have been reported to be 20,000 Iraqi Dinar (+/- 19 USD). The time frame to conduct the official search will be one month time.
As reported to you earlier Jordan became the 152nd member of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) on March 9, 2017, and the most recent Arab state to accede to the PCT. We are pleased to inform you that The Accession Procedures of Jordan to the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) with the Secretary General of WIPO have been completed and the Accession into the said Treaty has entered into force, as of June 9, 2017. Thus, any PCT application filed on or after June 9, 2017 will automatically include the designation of Jordan; and the Jordanian nationals and residents will be able to submit international patent applications through the Jordanian Patent Office.
Though there are fixed fees by WIPO for Jordan PCT national phase which can be found on WIPO website there is a possibility that these fees might change as this allowed for any contracting state in the PCT. We shall revert to you with the exact information as soon as the Jordanian Patent Authorities confirm the requirements and fees.
Please let me know if you require anything further. We look forward to being of assistance to you and your clients.